Monday, May 25, 2009

Hip Hop and House music

By Bushkids

House music has become known all over the world, and in Africa itself. With its characteristic kick-drum one every beat, it is strongly influenced by elements of soul and funk-infused varieties of disco. The origins of house music are hotly contested but this music has people moving across the globe as it rises in popularity.

Hip Hop on the other hand has also had audiences the world-over bobbing their heads to its beats. Unlike House music, Hip Hop is more widely recognized as conveying messages that depict the state of not only the music genre itself, but also where we are in the many different struggles that we are facing in our lives today.

No matter which genre one listens, music plays a big role in our lives. When asked what role music plays in their lives, some people said:

"Whenever I feel down, I always listen to music and relax and take away the stress"
Lesedi (15)

"For me, music sets the tone for my day because if I’m happy I won’t listen to music that is sad, because then I, myself would be sad. So music plays a huge roles in my life. I don’t know what I’d do without it."
Ashley (15)

No comments:

Post a Comment