Thursday, March 26, 2009

Do Morals and Values Influence Youth Behaviour?

Following on from the interview that the Bushkids undertook, the Bushteens show began with an interview with Yusuf Ganief of Desert Rose. Desert Rose is one of the performers at the Cape Town Festival.

The topic for this week’s show was Morality & Values in relation to Human Rights. This was presented by Busi, Oneza and Basheerah. As part of the show and also to link the topic with Human Rights since it was Human Rights Day, the Bushteens also put together a skit on the violation of one's rights in the cyberspace realm that so many young people live in nowadays.

Skit: Zoe Lynn and Pimperlicious

Narrator: After a late dinner, Zoe Lynn goes to her room to engage in some mxit time. She's a typical Mxit addict and see's no problem when she receives a random invite from a person by the name of Pimperlicious.

Zoe: Hello, who are you?

Pimperlicious: The man of your dreams, baby shoes

Zoe: Ok, LOL. Well then, does the man of my dreams have an asl?

Pimperlicious: 19, male, Cape Town and you?

Zoe: 16, female, Cape Town

Pimperlicious: You sound HOT!

Zoe: Newflash, I am hot.

Pimperlicious: So where in Cape Town do you live?

Zoe: Lansdown

Pimperlicious: Same here, what road?

Zoe: Well….I need to know you better before I reveal that.

Pimperlicious: Ok then….I live in Nanzen Road by the way

Zoe: Oh my word! So do I! What number?

Pimperlicious: 49 and you?

Zoe: 62. This is beyond awesome!

Pimperlicious: Ya I know, I want to meet you already. What are you doing tomorrow?

Zoe: I can’t do anything tomorrow, I’m going to the movies with my brother.

Pimperlicious: May I join you guys?

Zoe: I’m sorry, I have to look after him and his friends so, No!

Narrator: The following day, Zoe’s mother takes the children to the movies as planned. On the way there, they are followed by a suspicious looking car.

[car sound]

Narrator: At the mall, Zoe in her boredom pulls out her phone and goes on Mxit.

[typing sound]

Pimperlicious: You were right, you are hot!

Zoe: What do you mean?

Pimperlicious: You’re looking so hot in that white dress, and those earrings do compliment your eyes.

[Phone sound: Contact deleted]

Zoe: Pimperlicious infringed on my right to privacy. i've realised that whether the violation happens within a virtual space, the implications remain profound. It is up to you as an individual to practice your privacy by using your morals and values as a guideline. Take the initiative to find out what your rights are so that they have not been established by government in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment