Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Health

The Bushteen’s show focused on health, which was presented in relation to the following subheadings:
- relationships
- body image
- diet

The healthy and unhealthy aspects of each of these sub-headings was spoken about.
The show also included an interview with Nontsikelelo Veleko, a young lady who is the second photograoher to be awarded the Standard Bank Young Artist Award for Visual Art in 2008. Her exhibition titled Wonderland opened on Saturday 28 March at the Iziko National Gallery in Cape Town.
The following skit was performed:
Narrator: Mr. Popular and Ms. Popular were not your average couple. It’s no wonder why everybody was jealous of their perfection. One day, Ms. Popular was talking to her supposed friends about health.
Friend 1: You know, I noticed you picked up some weight Ms. Popular
Ms. Popular: Serious? Mr. Popular is not going to like this.
Friend 2: Ya, you really have to start dieting and gyming. Guys don’t dig fat girls.
Ms. Popular: Oh my word! I am getting fat. This is unacceptable. The matric dance is coming up. I have to lose weight ASAP!
Friend 1: Don’t stress, just eat less and throw up more after you eat. It’s a sure way to ensure a fabulous body.
Ms. Popular: I’m already on a grape and water diet.
Friend 2: Clearly that’s not working for you.

Narrator: Ms. Popular then headed home and experimented with various drugs to suppress her appetite. The phone rings.... It is Mr. Popular calling.

Mr. Popular: Hey, how’s it going baby shoes?
Ms. Popular: It’s good hey.
Mr. Popular: I was wondering if you want to go out for a meal and a movie tonight
Ms. Popular: I really don’t have time, plus my schedule is full and I need to go to gym so…
Mr. Popular: Okay then, um….uh…..You never have time for me, I hardly ever see you…
Ms. Popular: I don’t have time? Whatever….ciao…

[hangs up]

Narrator: Mr. Popular was very angry and spoke to his friend about the situation.

[silence]

Mr. Popular: Huh, I don’t understand women. They are so complicated! Why does she do this to me?
B.F.: Dude, every girl wants you at school. Just get another one.
Mr. Popular: Ya dude, I don’t need to waste my time with one chick, especially a complicated one. I’m 18, I’m Mr. Popular and everyone wants to be me. I rule this school.
B.F.: now check here, just use those player skills to its full potential. Why have one girl when you can have a truck load of sexy women.

Narrator: Mr. Popular’s friend convinced him to mingle with one of Ms. Popular’s friends who goes by the name of Suzie. The phone rings....It is Mr. Popular calling Suzie.

Suzie: Hello?
Mr. Popular: Hey baby-baby, how you doing?
Suzie: Good and you?
Mr. Popular: Coolio, lets lunch?
Suzie: How about you just come over to my place?
Narrator: They carried on talking. And then…. Mr. Popular went to Suzie’s house. This consisted of unprotected sex and Mr. Popular taking photos of Suzie naked. The photo’s spread around the school like a wild fire, which led to a confrontation.

Ms. Popular: How could you? I’m Barbie and you’re Ken!
Mr. Popular: How could I? I just slept with her, it meant nothing.
Suzie: What do you mean it meant nothing?
Narrator: So many questions, so little answers.

Ms. Popular: People who truly love and care for you will make it their obligation to ensure you never feel pressured to change. Crash diets are extremely unhealthy and having friends in conjunction with boyfriends who encourage such behaviour is equally unhealthy too. Your appearance should certainly not determine your self worth because beauty comes from within. Take the initiative and never have yourself placed in a situation such as mine because short-term effects may seem as being easily overcome but long term effects prove fatal.

No comments:

Post a Comment